December is here & with the Christmas holiday season fast approaching too… Woo Hoo!!!
Are you excited yet – or are you sensing your stress levels starting to rise – just thinking about the busyness of the month ahead?
Don’t Sweat It… You’ll get thru –
you always do – right?
As the saying goes… “Don’t sweat the small stuff” – truth be told – it’s really all small stuff isn’t it?
I know – I know… it’s not all small stuff to you, especially during this time of year. Kind of crazy really how it gets to be super stressful with so much to do & plan, functions to attend, gifts to buy, meals to prepare (mind you there are always meals to prepare – just some bigger than others… just saying), and the list goes on and on…
Wait… Stop & just breathe for a minute or two – December really doesn’t have to be so exasperating – does it? After all it’s just another month of the year, of doing the same stuff you always do, with perhaps a little extra thrown in here & there.
Why not make things easier on yourself this year – you know – to help you get thru the season a little less stressed, and making you feel ahead of the game (so to speak)?
Here are 2 tips that are easy to implement that will ease your stress levels too:
Let’s make a list (or two)… Santa makes his list(s) & checks it twice (and so can you).
- What needs to be accomplished this month – write it ALL down (in one list to start)
- Are you a baker – What goodies will you be making & what ingredients will you need
- Are you hosting any dinners – Create meal planning lists & then your grocery lists
- How about gift giving – create a list of everyone to buy for – then suggestions of gifts – (and you’ll cross them off as you get them done – but that comes later).
- Are you attending any functions or get-togethers – what will you need for them
- Don’t forget the stockings…
- and even if you’re not sure about something… write it down so you don’t forget it (and categorize it later).
- Psst… don’t forget the things you can delegate too – write then all down and then delegate them out (at least then you’ll know they haven’t been forgotten about).
Think of it this way… anything you want to get accomplished needs to be written down. No matter how big or small – if it takes one person or more – if it’s complicated or easy – put it all on your list so that it’s out of your head and written down for you to see.
Well that was easy right?
And now that everything has been added to a list – you get to have even more fun organizing it all – take a deep breathe…
Now – Let’s get out your calendar… if you don’t have one – then you’d best get one (you probably already have a 2015 Calendar – it likely has the month of December). Better yet – use a Calendar App on your phone – you’ll love having it handy where-ever you go.
- Mark your Calendar with ALL events (Kids events – Social events – ALL Events – (even the tentative ones)
- Plan Christmas Shopping days (alone – with kids – with spouse – etc) – put it in the calendar.
- Plan a Baking day (or 2 depending on your family) – oh and don’t forget to put your grocery shopping in the calendar too (don’t forget to take your baking list with you).
- Put any extra meals in the calendar, like the big ones you need to cook (they all take time) – and add your grocery shopping time to the calendar too.
- Are you getting the picture… put everything that is day specific (from your lists) into the Calendar so that nothing is missed and everything is all organized out.
- Viola – at a glance – your month may look super crazy… but it’ll be organized.
- Psst… Don’t forget some chill & relaxation time too – if it’s not in your Calendar then you may not get it… (you snooze you lose).
Truth be told – we all have good intentions and would love to say ‘Yes’ to everyone and everything surrounding this festive time of year… but now when someone asks you… “Can you do this on such and such a date” or “Can you attend this… ” or “Can you help out with this…” You’ll be able to resist the urge to automatically say ‘Yes’ and instead you’ll be able see when you have available – and then either say Yes or No with a clear conscious.
By following thru with these 2 Simple Steps – you’ll be setting yourself up for a successful December – being proactive instead of reactive.
See how less stressful life can be… Cheers!