Wow… It’s hard to believe that a month has come and gone already.
Yup – a month ago I decided to finally take the leap – pushed past some fears – and began this crazy blogging thing. So how’s it going… Well let me share my thoughts on that.
As you know based on my first blog post “The Adventure Begins…” sharing of myself online is kinda new (well the blogging format is). Online Social sharing isn’t new but writing personal blogs is new to me.
Has it progressed as I had expected… I’m not clear on that one yet – as it’s only been a month and I didn’t really set any concrete expectations at the onset. Except for the fact that I decided early (2 days in to be precise) to only publish posts during the week and have my weekends free – I can say that I’ve stuck to that.
Yes I know… I’ve broken the rules right from the get-go! I know that you’re supposed to have a plan, have a strategy and goals for everything you do, and you’re supposed to be able to measure those goals to ensure that you’re on track!
Well… I’d say that’s a lesson learned.
What else have I learned thru this initial month…
- If you set a goal that you’ve voiced out loud – you had best stick to it (as challenging as it was – my goal to post every day during the week has been achieved).
- Sticking to your word is motivation enough to complete the task at hand.
- I’ve come to realize that leaving my post to end of day to write is not one of my better choices (yet here I am writing this post this evening… It’s a work in progress)
- I’ve learned that evenings are not my most creative times of my day – after my morning walk (or workout) is my opportune time to get my thoughts out.
- Walking gets my creative juices going… I have so many great thoughts when I’m walking. I just wish I could remember them all by the time I get back… again a work in progress (vacuuming has the same effect – I just get lost in my thoughts).
- Setting time limits to write… ugh – yup, I’m still working on this one too – I’m the first to admit that I tend to take far too long to write a single post – and then to edit, tag, add images & quotes, links, do SEO, etc. (I’m a bit of a perfectionist with this stuff – I like things to line up just so… and before I know it my time has slipped away).
- Constructive feedback is good… My one daughter said I needed to get more personal, more in-depth and share more of my own thoughts. My other daughter mentioned that I may be too laid back with my words (unless that was my intention – which it is), but that I also may have missed words (not completing my thoughts – well that’s a problem). My husband is supportive and encouraging but… he suggests using a timer, to write earlier in the day, and to keep feeding my content funnel so I always have something to write about if I’m a little short on ideas, and… to have a few posts ready in drafts to publish so I’m not under so much pressure. He also mentioned that I can push a little deeper in my writing (I tend to be too surface level). My son – well he hasn’t offered too much feedback at present (I’m sure it’s coming though, and I look forward to his constructive points too).
- I’ve also learned that stepping out of my comfort zone is a good thing… and something that I need to do more often too.
I know that there are many more things that blogging has taught me in just one short month – but those are the key take aways for sure.
“Challenges are what makes life interesting,
overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
So what will I be implementing in my next month:
- Have more concentrated Focus – plan my week in advance (that would be cool)
- Initiate Time Limits on my blog writing (how long is long enough though)
- Use more Free Writing sessions (such a powerful tool that I don’t do enough)
- Document my thoughts and ideas as they occur if I’m able (by using Evernote)
- Write when I’m most creative and my ideas are fresh (that would be mid morning)
- Create more than one post in a sitting (as time & thoughts permit)
- Get more personal, more detailed, and add more depth
Well that’s a wrap for today – or should I say this evening.
And I thank you for sharing in my blogging journey…
I’m grateful to have finally taken the plunge…
It’s been an adventure thus far for sure – and one that I’m having fun with & enjoying the learning process as I go.
So please stay tuned… I’m only 22 posts in & there’s still so much more to share with you as my Blogging Adventure Continues.
Thanks again for being here;